Wednesday, December 12, 2012
12 things on 12/12/12 12forever infinity12
1. My new favorite things to photograph are the birds in my kids' high school parking lot. I felt you should know.
2. The holiday baking is coming along nicely: pretzel/Rollo/pecan cookies, pretzel/Rollo/M&M cookies, almond crescents, pecan tassies, peanut butter blossoms, chocolate chip meringues, date-nut balls, coconut flour gingerbread drop cookies -- all done. Today: fudge and some more coconut flour goodies. Still debating the wisdom of peppermint bark and rolled sugar cookies.
3. I've decided I do not care for LED Christmas/fairy lights. I felt you should know.
4. I've been watching a bunch of those old claymation Christmas shows from when we were kids -- you know, back in the Jurassic -- and holy cats, those are some messed-up nightmare inducers, eh? Who in the world thought those were a good idea? Why did we love them? Were our parents slipping us weed milkshakes? IS MY WHOLE CHILDHOOD A LIE?!
5. I can tell I'm going to have trouble coming up with 12 things. Let's press on.
6. I'm reading Louise Penny's A Fatal Grace, the second Chief Inspector Gamache book, which is a heartwarming tale of Christmas murder. I like it very much.
7. I have been huffing the Fresh Balsam candle from Bath & Body Works and I think it might be causing brain damage.
8. This week we'll attend the high school band holiday concert for the first time with C as a spectator rather than a performer and I'm going to try really hard not to cry, you guys. Concert season usually doesn't affect me the same way marching season does so it'll probably be okay. *sniffle*
9. I have complicated feelings about the new Hobbit movie coming out this month. The Hobbit is one of my favorite books of all time -- I can remember my dad reading it to me as a bedtime story when I was very young -- but I have a longstanding and rather intense crush on Martin Freeman, the actor who plays Bilbo. So that might be weird. I'm still going to see it, I just might have to call my therapist immediately afterward.
10. It's been legitimately cold here, like in the 20s (F, not C) when I wake up in the morning. I can't decide how I feel about that.
11. My old Cuisinart food processor gave up the ghost this week so P got me a new one, and he says I should just throw the old one away, but his parents got it for us when we were married and they're both dead now and I don't want to throw it away, you guys. Much like with the badly injured/dying squirrel we found in our back yard last week to which P was forced to deliver a swift, humane death, I think I might have to implore him to "take care of it, but I don't want to see it or know about it or be told what happened."
12. I'm still really sad about that squirrel. I felt you should know.