Monday, September 9, 2013

Turn, turn, turn

Calendar image from the Wolf Creek Printery 2013 Calendar, ©2012
Oh, hi. Hello there. I didn't mean to let the entire last half of August and nearly a third of September slip by without writing. We've been busy with back-to-school stuff, as I'm sure many of you can relate. It's boring to talk about, and not much else has been going on. And maybe on some subconscious level, I didn't want to jinx anything. Because things are pretty copacetic here, y'all.

Rumor has it that fall temperatures have arrived north of the Mason-Dixon line. It's only supposed to be 94 here today, so I guess they've arrived in Texas, too! Heh. It's finally cool and shady enough to sit on the back patio again while the food grills, but that's been complicated by the fact that every single evening for the past several days we've had these crazy storms blowing up right at dinnertime. Last night I grilled wild boar burgers while fat drops of rain splatted and sizzled on the grill cover. We need the rain but the timing could be better, is all I'm saying. At least it's made for some pretty spectacular sunsets.

I love the quality of the light and air this time of year, the softness of it. It's like nature is sleepy but hasn't quite gone to bed yet. I've switched out the summer-scented hand soaps for fall fragrances: apples and pumpkins and cidery smells. Ditto the candles. My Kindle is loaded with tales of autumn, all crunchy leaves and frosty woods and blustery winds. Things we won't see here until ... er, maybe December? But, you know. I grew up in the midwest. Old sensory memories never die.

I am so ready for you, September/October/November. Come on down. Let's do this thing.

4 comments:

  1. I remember living for those sensory memories when we moved to Fresno. Haven't switched out anything for fall, yet. But it's definitely here. Though tomorrow is rumored to be 90! Have a great autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me. I was trying hard to think of how to make it more fall in my house. I decorate with lots of fall colors, pumpkins, etc. I burn pumpkin scented candles. Is there any fall music like there is Christmas music? What does autumn sound like? Can I buy it on CD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The light is hitting your room, just like it's now hitting my office windows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, fall ... where? I'm so waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete