Friday, February 22, 2013

Re-entry is hard

Well, that was not a fun week I had just then. I don't want to be whiny but coming home from your grandfather's funeral to find out both of your kids have slacked off on school to an alarming degree (this involved a 10pm phone call from one teacher and a midnight email from another) and then finding yourself in excruciating pain with a non-working limb (my left arm, good thing I don't use that one much) a couple of days later would make anyone crabby, right? I think so.

I did not break my arm or anything, don't worry. It was just a Transient Sleep Injury of the left shoulder. TSI is an acronym I made up because I get these dern things ALL THE TIME. I will go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning feeling like I've had some sort of bizarre nocturnal surgery on a body part. That body part won't work for a few days, and then I'll go to sleep again on another day and wake up with everything 100% back to normal. Usually it's my right hip but this time it was my left shoulder, just to mix things up, I guess. This has been happening for about 20 years so I'm going to guess it's not fatal? Just super inconvenient. And stupid.

Anyway, my shoulder is a wee bit better but my allergies are awful and I think we have the school thing straightened out but I still might be willing to sell one or more of my children to the highest bidder as long as you promise to feed them occasionally and teach them to drive and send them to college. And then I'll buy them back from you. With a markup, even! Yeah.

I finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette and I LOVED IT SO MUCH and now I'm reading Karin Fossum's The Indian Bride, which is one of her Inspector Sejer books, because I love that guy. I'm also reading Wheat Belly and it's kind of blowing my mind. And yesterday I bought a real book! Not a Kindle book! Because C and I were out and about and we had to pee and the library was the closest place and the bathrooms are right near the book sale and they had Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad in paperback for $1. So that's how that happened. Now I'll have to see if there are any reading glasses around here that the dog hasn't eaten.

But first my one working arm and I have to go buy some groceries. Yep. Have a good weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I just finished Where'd You Go Bernadette and LOVED IT. It was funny, sweet, interesting, different, and such a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know what you think about A Visit from the Goon Squad. It is very different. We are hit hard by allergies in central CA. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up Where'd You Go Bernadette from the library...will be doing some reading this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But don't you have the bed of awesome? TSIs are totally unsatisfactory.

    ReplyDelete